Dear Readers! The following YouTube video (3 min), posted there by Amazonwatch.org, is an unfortunate but ‘perfect’ fit to my previous 2 posts: Microsoft Buys Skype, (China’s factories) via Fast Times, and Glencore, profiteering by hunger and chaos, via Al Jazerra. All humanity, all life everywhere, is vulnerable to deadly exploitation by our well-entrenched economic practice of “progress by profit – profit by expansion.” This practice is not new, it has taken many centuries to become the monster that it now is. Many of us have lived in the right place, have been born into the right group, to benefit. That’s what has been. We, as a species, cannot continue these practices into the 21st Century. Global inequalities and “easy dismissal” of ‘ordinary voice’ by self-entitled, non-democratic, hierarchical, entrenched (established), ‘status-quo’ decision makers must be challenged. Status-quo’ does not challenge itself. The challenge must come from that ‘ordinary voice’, and the ordinary voice must be informed, thoughtful, and firm. Informed, thoughtful, firm voice has brought an important court decision to the people of Ecuador who’ve been dismissed as collateral loss by Chevron. As per ‘status-quo’, Chevron rejects the decision. BBC 2/15/11 report on the fine against Chevron here, and US courts – injunction against Ecuador update (5/13/11) here. Readers are encouraged to understand the same status-quo economic forces are at work in all nations. None of us is ‘exempt’. My Best! –MaggieAnn (For global coverage, focused on Latin America and the US, see also Kevin Alvarez’s site – source of thumbnail image with this post.)
Underlying Principle of UnderstandingEverything is a model for everything else!
Welcome to the Well!
- OUR 21st CENTURY
- Blog Vision and Purpose
- Justice: Circle, Restorative, Transformative
- Critical Thinking
- Conflict Resolution
- Consensus Problem/Solution Process
- Merit Pay Problem
- Psychology – Adler Related
- Symptoms, Understanding
- zEarth Care (Stewardship)
- OUR 21st CENTURY
Comments: Thoughts, Challenges?
Blog changes, announ… on Who Makes The Human Journey, a… maggieannthoeni on Universal Quest, Fairy Tale,… Amos on Universal Quest, Fairy Tale,… maggieannthoeni on Usefulness Finished: Dominant… maggieannthoeni on Bee and Wasp Die-off – Our Ine…
- Blog changes, announcements.
- Starving In The Spring
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Shrouded in Secrecy Has Far-Reaching Consequences
- Dominican Republic Records 30 Percent Increase in Organic Food Production
- Shut Up and Listen – Cont’d.
- Outside the Box Diplomacy – John Kerry, Maybe – Dennis Rodman, for Sure
- Deep Wrongness – American Momentum to Attack Syria, (4 Video Insights)
- Adam Curtis’: “The Century of The Self” (video)
- Dr. Martin Luther King: “Beyond Vietnam” Spoke to our Relationship To All Nations (Video)
- March on Washington – 50th Anniversary – Dr. Martin Luther King Shared His Dream (Video)
- Reclaiming Our Humanity – Follow-up on Oklahoma Shooting-death of Australian Student